Home > Workflow Manager > Troubleshooting configuration problems with Workflow Manager and Service Bus

Troubleshooting configuration problems with Workflow Manager and Service Bus

This post covers some of the problems I have encountered during the configuration of the Service Bus for use by Workflow Manager which was being setup to be used by SharePoint 2013. For step by step guidance leading up to the steps described below, refer to Installing Workflow Manager 1.0 and Configuring Workflow Manager 1.0.

Problem

A failure occurs after the creation of the Service Bus and Workflow Manager farms is completed, as the host is being added to the service bus farm. The failure occurs with the following error message: None of the declared nodes is for the current machine. This is pictured in the screenshot below from running configuration through the UI but the same message is displayed even when using PowerShell in the console.

clip_image001

Solution

Every time this happened to me, I was able to work around it by checking the hosts file on the machine on which installation is being performed. If there are any loopback entries to a localhost IP in the hosts file, comment or remove them temporarily and retry configuration.

Problem

On occasion, the Service Bus Message Broker service gets stuck in a perpetual “Starting” state.

clip_image002

And eventually times out

clip_image003

Look in the event viewer and you should be able to see what may have failed. Not that it always helps you but it may. In this case, it looks like the Messaging Broker is waiting for the Fabric service.

clip_image004

And looking further up the list, it looked like the Fabric was having its own problems.

clip_image005

The fabric host service was running fine

clip_image006

Solution

Stopped and started this service and this had the effect of restarting the Service Bus Message Broker and it went into the running state. I have found from running service bus configuration on various different environments that the fixes for these issues are neither consistent nor predictable. I have had to try several things before I could make it work and the solution is not always the same. That said, in general stopping and starting the services seems to help when the Service Bus Message Broker is started last in sequence.

That’s fixed now but what is the status of the service bus host configuration? You can always figure this out by using the Get-SBFarm cmdlet. As you can see below, the host has been added but the configuration state is HostConfigurationStarted. It should read HostConfigurationCompleted if it was all done.

clip_image007

A look at the registry shows that everything seems to be configured alright except the host configuration value is set to Started.

clip_image008

So I tried removing the host from the farm to try and re-add it.

clip_image009

As you can see below, the host is gone

clip_image010

And the Service Bus services too.

clip_image011

Now to try and add the host again

clip_image012

And done. As you can see, the steps it did not get to complete the last time because the Service Bus services failed to start correctly were just to restart the SB farm and update the registry.

clip_image013

The farm information now looks as shown below

clip_image014

The registry doesn’t look very different except for the indication that the host configuration is Completed. Technically, it may have all worked after restoration of Service Bus services above unless there was something referencing the registry to check if the host was properly added. But it is always so much better to get it done cleanly.

clip_image015

For good measure, a couple of quick additional tests before we move on.

clip_image016

The above checks show that the services are up and running and the farm is connected to an active message container. In other words, it is ready to go.

Problem

Yet another problem that I have faced a couple of times is after configuration, on checking the status of the Workflow Manager farm, I found that certain services were responding with an HTTP 403 (Forbidden) error.

clip_image017

Solution

In my case, checking the connection settings on Internet Explorer revealed that a proxy was configured to be used on the errant machine. Upon removal of the proxy settings, the service endpoint came online and was shown in the Running state.

Please note that all of the above is based on what worked for me on my environment. Not a guarantee that it will solve similar issues in other environments but certainly worth checking if it applies. I may be adding updates to this article based on new information obtained on any of the problems stated here or new ones that I encounter.

Advertisements
  1. Mysonemo
    July 2, 2013 at 9:22 AM

    Excellent !

  2. October 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM

    Hi! I have encountered very similar scenario. Have you already figured out the cause of this weird issue? I am just really new to SharePoint. I am more familiar with IBM products as of now. I did not encounter this error during first run. When I reinstalled Workflow Manager, this scenario occurred. It’s messed up somewhere. Thanks!

  1. July 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  2. December 12, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: